Angelina Jolie, beautiful celebrity, tireless charity worker and mother of six, regularly makes headlines. The latest news on the actress isn’t about her newest blockbuster, however. Recently, Jolie revealed that she had undergone a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery after discovering that she had a gene that predisposed her to breast cancer.
Her brave move is in keeping with her passionate and centered personality. Angelina has always appeared to be a woman who knows what she wants. She is also well known for her many tattoos which each have a very special meaning in her life.
Angelina’s total tattoo count continues to change as she adds more, covers some up and removes others. However, here are some of her most well-known tats:
- Five vertical columns down her left shoulder blade of a Buddhist Pali incantation written in Khmer script made to look like tiger claw marks
- An Arabic tattoo on her inner right arm that translates to “Determination”
- The Roman numerals: V MCMXL, which is 13 May 1940, the day Winston Churchill gave a famous speech
- A large cross tattoo on her left hip and a Latin phrase that translates to “What nourishes me, destroys me.”
- Rows of coordinates on her left arm that correspond to where each of her children and husband were born.
Angelina has also had several tattoos removed over the years, many related to previous husbands and boyfriends. Angelina’s penchant for peppering her body with meaningful tattoos doesn’t seem to be slowing down, and perhaps she’ll add a new tattoo soon to symbolize the latest challenges she has overcome with her trademark style and flair.