Although laser tattoo removal is effective and safe, proper aftercare is essential to minimize discomfort or undesirable results. Astanza, the manufacturer of the laser which we use here at North Houston Laser Tattoo Removal, provides a detailed list of laser tattoo removal aftercare dos and don’ts on their website astanzalaser.com. Here’s an abbreviated list:
- Keep the affected area covered with a thin layer of antibiotic ointment and a sterile gauze for the first 3 days. After 3 days, keep the area clean and dry for the remainder of the healing process. If you do wash the affected area, clean it gently and pat dry.
- To reduce pain and discomfort and swelling, apply cool compresses for the first 24 hours as often as needed. You can take acetaminophen-based pain reducers (e.g. Tylenol) but DO NOT TAKE ASPIRIN as it can increase the risk of bruising and bleeding.
- To use itching, use Aquaphor, Vitamin E ointment, or hydrocortisone. Do not pick scabs or shave over the affected area as this increases the likelihood of scarring.
- Wear a sunblock of at least SPF 25 for 3 months when out in the sun
- See a physician as soon as possible if you see any signs of infection which Astanza describes as “honey-colored crusting, oozing, spreading redness”.
Whether you have recently had laser tattoo removal or are planning to have one removed, please take your aftercare very seriously to prevent issues with your skin and to ensure the best possible long-term results. If you have any questions about the laser tattoo removal procedure, please contact North Houston Laser Tattoo Removal at 281.440.GONE (4663)